Greece, or Ariane’s thread
Following the Greferendum, Europe’s leaders are embarking on an ultimate round of talks with the Greek government. Riding high on the landslide victory of the “no” camp, Alexis Tsipras believes he is in a strong position to negotiate a better deal with Greece’s creditors. But he is standing on shaky ground. A…
Greece: Vote Yes for Europe!
After multiple pathetic episodes of despair and drama, negotiations between the EU and Greece are put on hold until Sunday’s referendum’s outcome. How did those months of Greek debt talks led to this dramatization? Responsibilities are on both sides. The economic policies applied by the Troika have led to…
Interface celebrates its ten years!
2005-2015: it has already been 10 years since Confrontations Europe started distributing Interface, its monthly newsletter, in French and English throughout Europe! In 2005, Confrontations Europe opened its office in Brussels, embodying its role as an "interface" between the civil society and the European…
Greek debt: from a shared responsibility to shared efforts
A four-month extension to the Greek aid programme was agreed on 24 February. A short respite, but the hardest part is yet to come. The Syriza government must substantiate its programme of reforms. The Greeks voted for Syriza because it promised change, but they have withdrawn around €2 billion from their bank…
Capital Market Union: a long-term structuring project
By creating a 28-member Capital Markets Union (CMU), the Commission aims to “unlock frozen capital to revitalise the economy”, according to the words of the Commissioner for Financial Services, Lord Hill. The CMU will make it easier to channel available savings into the productive economy, broaden the range o…
Energy Union: coordinating supply-side policy with demand-side policy
By comparing the Energy union to the ECSC, the Commission has voiced aspirations that fit with our own proposals. But the objectives of the new project need to be discussed, especially since there is no global vision to give it coherence. The ECSC had a strategy of industrial expansion. Today, too much emp…
Working Groups/ Conferences 2015
- 22-23 October 2015 : How to take on the long-term challenge - 7th international Conference of the LTIC
- 3-4 December 2015 : Boosting Social Enterprises in Europe - Presidency Conference
Documents to (re)discover:
-"Energy, a networked Europe - Twelve proposals for a common energy infrastructure policy" by Michel Derdevet
- Discussion papers of the Brussels Think Tank Dialogue :
- A Single European Labour Market: moving it closer?
- Revisiting energy security in turbulent times
- Three challenges for tomorrow’s EU migration policy: fairness, mobility and narratives.
- September: International investment in Europe: The canary in the coal mine? - Draft paper prepared for Confrontations Europe by Michael Gestrin
- 30 June 2014: "Lithuanian dream: an independent, open, fair and social Europe" by Algirdas Paleckis
ARTICLES / INTERVENTIONS
OUR LAST CONFERENCES
Minutes, slides, photos